How to make the perfect, light and fluffy frosting

The frosting is my favorite part in any baked good. I don’t know about you, but I like it when the frosting is fluffy and delicious. Have you ever wondered what the history of the frosting was? Long ago, during the ancient Egyptian times, cakes were made but they didn’t have frostings to put on top of them. Instead they used honey or fruits. Frostings were made in the mid-1600s and they were made with sugar, egg whites, and sometimes flavoring. These ingredients would then be boiled and poured over the cake. After the cake is put back into the oven for a few minutes the frosting would be shiny and glazed.

There are three main types of frostings: vanilla, chocolate, and cream cheese. The ingredients for the vanilla frosting are 250 grams of sifted icing sugar, 80 grams of unsalted butter, at room temperature, 25 milliliters of whole milk, and 2 drops of vanilla extract. The ingredients for the chocolate frosting are 300 grams of sifted icing sugar, 100 grams of unsalted butter, at room temperature, 40 grams of sifted cocoa powder, and 40 milliliters of whole milk. The ingredients for the cream cheese frosting are 300 grams of sifted icing sugar, 50 grams of unsalted butter, at room temperature, and 125 grams of cold cream cheese. These ingredients are enough to frost 12 cupcakes. If you would like to frost a 20-cm cake then you should double the recipes.

How to make vanilla frosting:

http://secretsofourkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/04/bm-4-day-5-chifon-cake-with-vanilla.html

Step one: In a freestanding electric mixer, beat the icing sugar and butter together on medium-slow speed until you see that the mixture is well mixed and comes together.

Step two: Turn the mixer down to slow speed. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and vanilla extract. Then add two tablespoons at a time to the butter mixture.

Step three: After all the milk has been added and combined with the other mixture, turn the mixer up to high speed.

Step four: Continue mixing and beating, at least 5 minutes, until you see that the frosting is light and fluffy. If you beat the frosting for a longer time then it will become fluffier.

How to make chocolate frosting:

http://cakejournal.com/recipes/chocolate-frosting/

Step one: In a freestanding electric mixer, beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together on medium-slow speed until you see that the mixture is well mixed and comes together.

Step two: Turn the mixer down to slow speed and add the milk to the butter mixture two tablespoons at a time.

How to make cream cheese frosting:

http://bakedbree.com/red-velvet-cupcakes

Step two: Add the cream cheese to the mixture in one go and mix them until the cheese is completely mixed and incorporated.

Step three: Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Then continue mixing and beating, at least 5 minutes, until you see that the frosting is light and fluffy. But don’t overbeat the frosting because it can quickly become runny.

Try these recipes and tell me how they turn out. You can give me some suggestions by commenting.

9 Comments

1. I think that you did a great job! You really make me hungry! I think that at the beginning of the writing, i really wanted to read more. But once i got to the middle it got kinda boring. I think that next time you should make sure that you keep your author wanting to read through the whole writing. I understand that its a baking blog, and you have to give information about the ingredients. But awesome information about the history of frosting! :D

Reply Posted March 4, 2012, 12:24 pm

2. I really think you have done a great job! I really like that you have the history of frosting, I have never heard of the history of frosting and I enjoyed reading it.

Reply Posted March 5, 2012, 12:29 pm

3. Thank you, very helpful.

Reply Posted November 29, 2012, 4:06 am

4. Is it possible to over beat/mix…I can never get the frosting to turn out right… :-(

Reply Posted April 8, 2013, 9:31 pm

• Yes it is.. as soon as you see that all the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture looks fluffy, you could stop using the electric mixer and maybe use a rubber spatula if you think that it is not fluffy enough.. I hope it turns out good when you try again!

Reply Posted May 19, 2013, 10:40 am

5. I just tried the vanilla one for my little one’s bday cake.THANK YOU!just perfect!!

Reply Posted May 18, 2013, 7:29 pm

• I’m glad it turned out well! If you want it to look colorful next time you could add a few drops of food coloring (but not a lot because it might change the taste) and use a rubber spatula to mix. :)

Reply Posted May 19, 2013, 10:43 am

6. Is it ok to use a hand electric mixer?
    Because I only want to use it when I
    am positive that the frosting will still
    work! Also thanks for writing about
    the history of frosting I never really
    thought about it until now but it’s
    very interesting!

Reply Posted January 7, 2014, 12:19 pm

• Yes it’s okay. I usually also like to use a hand electric mixer and my frosting turns out just fine! Just remember not to over beat it so that it turns out light and fluffy :) Also, if you don’t want to use an electric mixer you could use a rubber spatula but it would take you much longer and it’s more tiring… I hope it turns out great and sorry for the late reply!

Reply Posted January 12, 2014, 6:00 pm